[pianotech] crown and radius

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sun Jun 14 19:00:33 MDT 2009

 How are you "locating" the high
> points to accommodate the bridge?

**** First I locate approximately where the new ribs will be on the new
board, then locate the bridge on the new board. Ribs are laid out and their
locations are refined. Then the location of the inner rim is marked on the
ribs and the ribs are then cut to length, width and rough height. Ribs are
again laid out and the location of the bridge is marked on them. This bridge
location mark is where the high points will ideally be. The  exceptions that
I run into are: The first one or more ribs just above where the bass bridge
ends and in the treble. If I were to locate the high points at the bridge in
these places there would not be a smooth curve or line that the high points
followed for the length of the board. There would be an unwelcome jog where
the first rib past the upper bass rib high spot is. This would seem to make
glue up a bit more difficult and possibly put unwanted strain on the board??
And in the treble the high spot would be too close to the bellyrail for my
comfort so I compromise.

> If your crowns are uniform radius circle segments, the high points
> couldn't be anywhere other than in the rib center.

****Hopefully I can describe this so it makes sense:
As I consider how the radius are cut onto the ribs - pulled and clamped into
a caul mounted onto a sled on a table saw - the high point mark on the rib
(bridge location) is aligned to a mark on the caul on sled and the finish
height cut is made simultaneous with radius arc. The mark on the rib (high
point) may not be in the center of the rib. Example: on a 12 inch long
treble rib the high point may be 4 inches from the belly rail and 8 inches
from the inner rim. It would seem to me that the radius circle should still
be uniform??. It would also seem to me that if the high point were centered
on this 12 inch rib, the bridge would be located so far away from it that
there would be considerably less crown available for it. Make any sense?

Gene