[pianotech] New Asian piano that will not hold a tuning

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Jun 14 16:17:23 MDT 2009

It sounds to me like a piano that wasn't tuned very many times before
leaving the factory, nor tuned well in the store.  New strings go out of
tune quite quickly when new.

David Trasoff <david at davidtrasoff.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
06/14/2009 04:32 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[pianotech] New Asian piano that will not hold a tuning

I am wondering what ideas or experience people have concerning the
possible reasons a new Korean-made piano seems to be incapable of
holding pitch. It's a 5'3" Samick-made grand. It was tuned prior to
delivery in early September 08 (I assume it was; I didn't do it). When
I gave it its post-delivery service in September it had slipped
30-40¢. I pitch-raised and tuned it.

By December the customer was complaining; I made another service call
and found the piano again 30-40¢ flat. I again double tuned it (using
the RCT pitch raise function) and left it on pitch. I tuned the piano
again in the beginning of June and found the bass about 25¢ flat, the
midrange from 10-15¢ flat to on pitch, and the high treble 80¢ or more
flat! It seems pretty obvious that something is moving around in
there, a bad glue joint in the frame? an improperly secured plate?

I don't have the luxury of going back and making measurements or
poking around (I'm not being paid to do that), but I'm interested in
what other technicians think may be going on with this piano. I've
recommended to the store that sold the piano that it be replaced, but
I'd like to have some possible technical points regarding the apparent
failure in the structure of this piano to discuss.

Thanks,
David Trasoff

---
David Trasoff