[pianotech] New Asian piano that will not hold a tuning

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Sun Jun 14 19:19:27 MDT 2009

A piano that keeps slipping that much over that much time has something
major loose somewhere.  Even a loosely strung tuning pin doesn't slip that
much.  Still, it's possible that the piano didn't have much of a tuning
history prior to it's departure from the factory.  I'd check for movement
........   the plate will lift if it's not secured well so check all the
perimeter bolts and make sure there aren't maybe a few that are stripped out
.......   rare but possible.  Look for lifting or plate distortion all the
way around the rim.  The nose bolts should be tight and check for a crack in
the plate at those points  .........  the plate failures I've seen have all
happened around the area where the struts meet the tuning pin webbing area.

Check where the pin block meets the cabinet  ........  from inside the
action cavity look up at the junction  .........   bass and treble.  There
shouldn't be a gap there.  If the plate is distorting due to lack of
anchoring, downbearing will be affected.  A simple sewing thread stretched
across the bridge, duplicating the path of the string will show if you have
positive or negative downbearing.

Check the crown of the soundboard.  I don't expect a soundboard has enough
crown in it to cause a piano to drop 100 cents, especially in the treble but
it's easy enough to check  .............   a thread once again strectched
between the ribs tells all.

The shim in the horn.  Make sure it's still there.  If there's a adjustment
bolt, make sure it's tight.

Just some ideas to check that are easily enough done.

Lar