[pianotech] string hook

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 15 09:54:03 MDT 2009

Hi, Allan:
    Joe Goss wrote that his tool is not made for leveraging.  I took a look at mine, (short memory), and it's made to simply pull on.  As a matter of fact, there is a limit to how much the string will move.  You really don't need a whole lot of leverage to do the job.  I've broken strings doing a "leveling" job with a simple hook, with no leverage.  That's the danger involved- getting too aggressive with the process.
    The plier I'd like to see would rest on the agraffe and use a squeeze action to lift the string.  What I'm after is a consistent pulling force.  Maybe some kind of adjustable spring involved which would limit overpulling and quantify the amount of force (make it repeatable).
    Just some ideas...
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego