[pianotech] Moving 4 legged consoles and spinets

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Mon Jun 15 15:53:27 MDT 2009

Joe:

That jig is slicker than nose jam.

Will Truitt

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Joe DeFazio
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 2:13 AM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Moving 4 legged consoles and spinets

Hi Ryan,

About two nights before I first had to move one of these buggers without
much help, I got a little nervous thinking about how to do it safely.  So, I
went down to the shop and cobbled together this:

It is a platform that attaches to a piano dolly via three upside-down L
shaped cleats (one in the front and two in the rear).  The cleats are
attached via slots to the 1/4-20 knobs/studs that you see on the bottom
rectangular board, which sits on the two dolly rails.  To install it onto
the dolly takes well under a minute:  you loosen the knobs, slide the
knobs/cleats inward, place the rectangular base on the dolly rails, slide
the knobs outward so that the "L" cleats grab the rails from underneath, and
tighten the knobs.  (If I had thought a little more clearly while making it,
two cleats could be fixed, and only one could slide/loosen/tighten, but then
it wouldn't necessarily center on dollies of different sizes, or be tight on
dollies with rails of different thicknesses.)  It's even faster to remove it
from the dolly.

The triangular base of the support leaves room for the pedals, and
distributes downward force from the weight of the keybed to the edges of the
dolly, which reduces stress on the dolly's front rail (as compared to a
simple vertical member).  The upper support is height adjustable via a
sliding dovetail.  To find the correct height, measure the distance from the
underside of the bottom board (not from the floor) to the underside of the
keybed, and set the height of the support that distance above the height of
the dolly end members.  There is a scale on the vertical part of the support
so I don't have to  measure every time (you can't see it in these photos;
it's on the other side of the vertical member).  In actual use, I don't have
to adjust the height very often.

It is quite easy to strap the piano securely to the dolly once this support
is installed, although it is often not necessary to do so.

This platform may or may not help you with steps, but It has saved my bacon
on several occasions, and turns a potentially nerve-wracking move into a
routine one.

Joe DeFazio

Pittsburgh

P.S. - yes, that dolly itself is a homemade one that I made the night before
my very first piano move;  it seems that practically every jig or home-made
tool in my shop was made the night before some job was due to be completed,
or the night before it would be needed in a client's home....