[pianotech] Chinese tuners (was The World's Greatest Musical Prodigies)

Kerry kerrykean at att.net
Tue Jun 16 07:58:16 MDT 2009

I was in China a couple of years ago to brush up on my once-fluent Mandarin.
A friend at Xiamen University arranged for me to tune a number of pianos
while I was there (what a great opportunity for language study!) and from
what I saw and heard the skill level is pretty low. Everybody seemed to have
at least one horror story about service. Most if not all of the techs are
connected with a store or piano company, not many independents, and the
concept of customer service is apparently not well developed yet. That's
just what I saw in one area, maybe not representative of the country as a
whole.

Kerry Kean
www.ohiopianotuner.com