[pianotech] Fazioli

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Fri Jun 19 20:51:29 MDT 2009

I am very aware of the quality of the Hamburg Steinway, Paul.  I do consider
it to be a better instrument than its New York brother, and always favor
Hamburgs over New York in listening to recorded music (where I have had much
more opportunity to listen to Hamburg Steinways than in person).  And I have
heard some absolutely glorious Hamburg Steinways, and greatly enjoyed the
music coming out of them.  But I genuinely wish that my listening choices in
recordings were not so limited to WHICH Steinway I get to listen to.  That's
where the poverty lies.  It's like having a large flower garden where the
only flower you will grow is a red rose.  A lovely flower to be sure, but
the color and olfactory palate is pretty limited, and not as rich as it
would be if you introduced a number of other flowers into the garden.

Still, I think you missed my point. Nowhere was I saying that it was not an
instrument of high quality.  It is just that.  But there are a number of
less well known makes of equal or greater quality, such as Fazioli or
Steingraeber.  And those instruments have their own distinctive and highly
refined sound.  They bring a different and wonderful voice to the music,
just as Steinway brings its own voice.

Steinway's dominance of the concert stage and the high end buying public IS
stifling, and we are the poorer for it.  Many people will consider nothing
but the Steinway, no matter how good the competing piano is.  It's already
over before they put a hand on the other piano.  I'm not saying don't buy a
Steinway - just don't consider buying only a Steinway when other great
pianos are available.  Give them a truly equal opportunity to be played and
considered.  I am also aware of the Stuart and Sons piano, which I have
found a very interesting piano.  I have heard several recordings of it, but
have not heard one in person, as there are none here in the U. S.  And
Stuart has to fight the Steinway juggernaut too.

I do understand the concept of an opinion.  But an opinion that has little
basis in direct knowledge is of very limited value.  So I don't offer
opinions on instruments that I have not seen or heard.  I try to be aware of
the limitations of my own knowledge, and attempt to be forthright with
others as to where my limits are.

Respectfully yours,

Will