[pianotech] fazioli

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Fri Jun 19 22:14:30 MDT 2009

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the pianotech mailing list.  It's great to have another
technician aboard; especially one with a different geographical and
technical perspective.  I hope that you will stick around;  we all
learn from each other here, and, though we all have strong and
sometimes opposing opinions, the discourse is usually quite
respectful, and almost always helpful.

I want to address your dialogue with Will Truitt .  You have strong
and clearly well-founded opinions about Steinway Hamburg and several
other pianos, and Will's opinions about the pianos in question are
equally strong and well-founded.  In reading Will's posts, I don't see
any place where Will has been unfair to you, attacked you,
misrepresented your statements, or in any other way been disrespectful
towards you.  His suggestion that one should avoid having an opinion
about a piano that one has not seen or heard, either in person or via
recordings, is, quite simply, commonsense.  In other areas where your
opinions diverge, all of us who read the dialogue can learn from both
sides presented, and I , for one, am glad to have such divergent
opinions expressed.

If you do a little digging around in the archives, I believe that you
will see that Will is unfailingly polite, humble, thoughtful, and
respectful, and he often brings a gentle touch to contentious
disputes.  In fact, I would say that he is a peacemaker on this list,
and is often the voice of reason.  If you reread his posts written in
response to yours, I hope you will see that spirit in evidence, as I
do.  That is not to say that his opinion, or mine, must necessarily
conform to yours, or vice versa, of course.

I do hope, as I said, that you will stick around;  many of us might
benefit from your knowledge of Hamburg Steinways (and probably from
several other areas of your knowledge and experience as yet unknown to
us), and we, in turn, will try to help you out in any way that we can
if you ever face any unusual piano challenges.

Sincerely,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh