[pianotech] Dealer labor fees

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 18:14:16 MDT 2009

I DO try to factor all that into the mix, Diane. The bottom line is you
don't make as much as you think you are! I have found some creative ways to
market the pianos: I keep one at a local bookstore, another at an antique
store that only charges my a 10 percent commission, one at a violin shop,
and another at a restaurant. Each one gets a little display with business
cards! The rest of my inventory is in my little shop which is a remolded 2
car garage at my house near downtown Olympia. I keep my website up to date
and always post ads on Craigslist.

Keeping the overhead low is essential. I often do make more money tuning
pianos but working in the shop has become essential for my development as a
technician and to keep my sanity! Luckily I also have a spouse who is a
terrific business partner! She's also terrific at rebushing keys, at
replacing bridle tapes!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter