[pianotech] Fazioli (and going off-topic)

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Mon Jun 22 07:04:07 MDT 2009

Hi Brian,

Yes, I saw this morning when I checked the Hyperion website, that they are
now up to 7 with the Bach transcriptions!  (By the way, a great Hyperion
series is the Gottschalk series).

Another Hyperion I forgot to mention is "Rambles and Reflections", Percy
Grainger arrangements, also on Fazioli, played by Piers Lane. I have that
one, not listened for a while, will listen this evening!

There's also Wayne Marshall doing Gershwin Concerto in F on Fazioli (not
Hyperion).

I always  thought of Piers Lane as Australian, not English. I'd love to
hear him play live, must check out when he's coming to the UK.  Wigmore
Hall would be great to hear him, or, for me, much better still, City Halls
Glasgow!

The sleeve notes for the Bach Transcriptions number 2 sadly don't list the
technician. The info given is:

Recorded in Henry Wood Hall, London on 4,4,6 May 2002
Recording Engineer: ARNE ASKELBERG
Recording Producer: AMANDA HURTON
Piano:   STEINWAY & SONS
Front Design:  TERRY SHANNON
Booklet Editor:  TIM PARRY
Executive producers SIMON PERRY, MICHAEL SPRING

Prokofiev No 3, great  warhorse. I can well imagine that any
less-then-rock-solid tuning would very quickly get wrecked in the first
movement!

I know this is all a bit off-topic, and this is a tech list.  But I hope
list members don't mind the occasional foray into other aspects of the
results and raison d'etre of our work (note the fluent french.....).

I recently got the current Stuart & Sons demo CD in the post.

Best regards,

David.