[pianotech] floor sanding dust in piano

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 22 10:57:58 MDT 2009

Howdy,

I got a call from a couple who were having work done on their house. The workers decided (when the owners weren't home) to start sanding the floors without using any dust collection system or covering the Yamaha C3 that was purchased last winter. The piano wasn't in the same room as the sander, but the dust traveled through the house through the heating/cooling system. I figure it will be a routine cleaning. When I told the fellow what I would do (the time estimate equal to normal tuning time or less), he was shocked because some cleaning company told them it would take them 4-5 hours to clean the piano--and they wouldn't be removing the insides! He expressed some concern (or his wife's concern) that this dust would affect the piano sometime in the future. Well, it won't be a problem if we clean it up. I suppose I will hold their hands and tell them that it's all going to be OK. Am I being too calm about this? Is there something I should be worrying about that I've never run into before, besides their taking a magnifying glass to the piano after I'm done? :-)

I think I'll introduce them to string covers....

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois