[pianotech] Bechstein repair/Jon Page

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 22 15:28:53 MDT 2009

Jon Page said: "I'm thinking to fix the split bass pin block, pull the pins and fill
with epoxy, map tuning pin field.
Install 1/2" pin block plugs, transcribe pin field. Pretty straight forward.

My concern is with letting the tension down with the cracked treble
struts. It appears that
they were ground and filled on the left sides of the struts."

Jon,
I'm noted for doing wacky things, on pianos with dubious value, but I wouldn't touch that thing with 50 foot tuning hammer!!!! Reason being, som e years of Bechsteins are noted for problematic plates that have proven to be unfixable. Lotsa luck on that one!!!
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I