[pianotech] dust

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 15:32:41 MDT 2009

> When I told the fellow what I would do (the time estimate equal to normal
tuning time or less), he was shocked because some cleaning company told them
it would take them 4-5 hours to clean the piano--and they wouldn't be
removing the insides! He expressed some concern (or his wife's concern) that
this dust would affect the piano sometime in the future. Well, it won't be a
problem if we clean it up.<

Barbara - I would assure your customers that if you do your normal cleaning,
their piano will be cleaner than 99.9% of pianos out in the field. Pianos
without dust just don't exist. If it makes them feel better, recommend that
after your initial cleaning,  you clean it every 3rd year or so.

After your ordinary cleaning procedures, if they have hardwood floors that
are easily swept up, and if you have a small,  portable air compressor, you
might consider blowing out under the plate (after you've vacuumed and done
your other ordinary cleaning steps.) If you have your vacuum running with
the hose on the bass side, and squirt the air under the shrink holes in the
plate, you'll probably get a lot of dust out that you wouldn't reach
otherwise. Then sweep up around the piano for the dust that the vacuum
didn't pick up. Just explain that the procedure does put dust in the air
that will need to be cleaned up as it settles.

Also, you might carry the action out to their front or back porch, and blow
it out (carefully) as well. This removes a lot more dust than vacuuming
alone.

With all the sanding we do in our shop, I go around from piano to piano
occassionally just to blow the dust out that we've made ourselves.

Good luck.  Chuck Behm