[pianotech] To ream or not to ream? - that is the question.

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Mon Jun 22 20:58:06 MDT 2009

Chuck Behm wrote:?
> With the results of the surveyabout repinning that I posted twice > coming in, I'm noticing a very interesting divergence of opinion on > the topic of reaming out the holes of an old pinblock ......?
> > Anyway, here are sample comments from 2 technicians who sent me > information about the way they repin.?
> > Technician A: "No reaming is required .... The block will be uneven if > your ream."?
> > Technician B: "I will always drill out the block for new pins. I don't > feel like I can get consistent torque any other way."?
> > Huh? So which way is it??
?

I use a drill press to make the holes in my grand pin blocks. But the drill press was clamped down, and?I moved the?block on a flat surface of a table.?Unless you can get the drill press over the upright piano, making 100% sure that the angle of the drill press is at exactly the same angle as the previously drilled holes, it would seem to me that using a drill to re drill the pin holes in an upright piano is asking for trouble. I would even be very careful?using a reaming, because a slight variation in the angle in which the reamer goes in would enlarge the hole, or make it out of round.?

Just my 2 cents worth, (which?is actually worth 5 cents here in Hawaii.)?

Wim