[pianotech] To ream or not to ream? - that is the question.

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Mon Jun 22 15:22:40 MDT 2009

Hi Chuck

I'm a very green tech but I'm going to respond from the hip

I think there may be some misunderstanding as to the meanings of
drilling and reaming. As I understand from my limited experience in
metal machining, simply put, a drill will cut a hole in the direction in
which you aim it while a ream will faithfully follow the center line of
a previously drilled hole. I can fully understand why one might avoid
drilling (due to the possibility of inconsistent results) but favor
reaming (because careful reaming can actually restore hole-to-hole
consistency).

Phil

(I hope I don't reamed for saying this)