[pianotech] FW: Re: crack

Brad Smith, RPT pianotech at smithpiano.com
Tue Jun 23 08:28:13 MDT 2009

There is no way that a the simple compression ridge / separation pictured is
due to moving.

In the course of my 'removal / disposal' work, I have personally destroyed
several grands, uprights, squares grands, etc, with sledge hammers and a
sawzall.     I have also pushed hundreds of such pianos off the back of my
van into the dumpster for disposal.    Unless you take a swing directly at a
soundboard with a big hammer, you aren't going to cause this type of crack.

To get that result from typical 'moving' techniques, you would have to drop
the piano from about 10 feet in the air. ( just guessing, probably it would
take a higher drop than that ) onto hard concrete......in any case the drop
required would destroy the rim or crack the plate or both before it would do
that to the soundboard.     The pictures should look far more violent and
you would be looking at pieces of a piano, not a piano with a little
soundboard crack.   Heavens....I'll bet there is dust on those damper heads,
too.......those bastard movers again probably!

If you can produce pictures of whatever 'damage' was done to the case, it
will prove itself by this simple logic.

Also, there are many reasons why you would hear a 'crack' sound as a piano
is moved.  The legs can shift when tilted and set......the casters can
reseat themsleves creating a sound. ....an old mouse turd inside could
rattle just once to sound like a click......not to mention whatever other
foreign objects are in there.

Once the dampers are free from the strings as the grand piano is
vertical....any click or sound becomes magnified by the soundboard.
Probably the customer heard a floor board settle as the weight of the piano
made its way across the room.  IMHO.....They are trying to get something for
nothing by defrauding an insurance company.

PS
I had a similar situation years ago, where I was called in to a furniture
guy to condemn a piano that had been dropped by a local "moover".      There
was some case damage, which everyone including the moovers, agreed upon.

In the course of examining the piano I noted the condition of all the
various systems.
There was a terrible restringing job with poorly coiled wires, amongst other
evidence of quick / shoddy work in a past rebuild.   The customer insisted
that this also happened by the movers.
While I agreed that the work was crap, I had to defend the fact that the
"moover" didn't cause the poor stringing technique.     After that....the
piano owner, in addition to hating on the mover and the furniture guy....
also hated me too.

No, apparently we can NOT all just get along.  : -)

--
Best Regards,
Brad Smith, RPT