[pianotech] Leveling keys (the Steinway answer)

Keith McGavern kam544 at allegiance.tv
Tue Jun 23 09:27:46 MDT 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 7:24 AM, Gerald Groot wrote:

>  Nor has anyone bothered to say why Steinway DOES crown them?

Jerry, List,

It would appear that you are correct in this statement from all I have
read from the input of others.

For clarification:
I am trusting that when you say "why Steinway does crown them" means,
Steinway pianos do not level their keys flat.

There is a reason the Steinway grand piano key level is not leveled
flat, and it is for the following:
(verbatim from the Steinway & Sons Technical Service Manual I have in
my possession)

------
Bedding the Keyframe to Keybed
Background: Steinway utilizes a keybed which is shaped and planed in
such a way that it provides the keyframe with a solid support
structure and minimal friction.

Features:
1) The front lip of the keybed (1/2" approximately), which contacts
the keyframe is crowned so that its center is approximately 1/32"
higher than the ends.
5) The front rail of the keyframe is reverse crowned so that the
center of the front rail is approximately 1/32" lower than the ends.
This is done to ensure stability at the front rail. There should be no
gaps along this line of contact.
(page 11)
-----

This clearly shows that when the keyboard is held in place with
keyblocks, leveling the keys correctly should follow the line of that
crown as recommended by Steinway and should not be leveled flat.

If one looks closely at the front of the keyframe and keybed with
keyblocks unfastened, this crown and reverse crown are evident.

Sincerely,

Keith