[pianotech] Leveling keys

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 23 18:04:55 MDT 2009

 Groot said: "So far, nobody has had any valid reasons or explanations for making them
flat (or crowned either for that matter) other than, "it should be flat.
Flat is flat" Not one person has explained why NOT crown it? "

I hate to tell you this, but I did give a very valid reason to level the keys straight/level/flat......The key cover/nameboard leading edge, (the one that is above the keys), is almost always STRAIGHT. The piano furniture dictates this. Steinways key cover is straight, as well. Why do they advocate a curved keyboard??? I have asked and NO ONE has ever told me: #1 when that policy started. #2 why that policy started. #3 what advantage, if any, this would do. When they come up with a rationale, (yeah, like that's going to happen!), reason...I'll keep setting them keys FLAT/LEVEL/Parallel!
That satisfy ya?
BTW, NO, I am not "Mellowing with age"!! That's for good cheese/wine/???. I like my project of becoming the most curmudgeonly person in existance! Nossaman, has a headstart, so I have to strive extra hard!<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I