[pianotech] Leveling keys

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Jun 23 19:02:27 MDT 2009

Joe writes:
<< Steinways key cover is straight, as well. Why do they advocate a curved
keyboard??? I have asked and NO ONE has ever told me: #1 when that policy
started. #2 why that policy started. #3 what advantage, if any, this would do.
When they come up with a rationale, (yeah, like that's going to happen!),
reason...I'll keep setting them keys FLAT/LEVEL/Parallel! >>

Greetings,
    One reason is that if the keybed and keyframe are curved, you have to
level the keys in a similar fashion
if you want them to all be sitting over the same amount of front pin.
    Another is that worn keyboards all seem to have a reverse curve to the
key level, so beginning them with a slight curve upwards will maintain
usuable amounts of aftertouch longer than if they were flat.
      There, that is two functional reasons.

regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours