[pianotech] Leveling keys

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 23 16:22:38 MDT 2009

Paul T Williams wrote:

> So... How did they feature the nastyness in the bass break on B's from
> the late 70's????

I think they just pretend that one isn't there.

>Why the hollow restroom sound on that F???

Still the same reason as every other time someone asks. Break%
is too low because the speaking length is too short because
the break belonged farther up the scale than 20-21 in a piano
that size.

>We have
> several with that here!!  (More importantly with out re-design.....how
> do you fix it???  I've tried several different things...none work)  New
> board?  Riblets? weights?...

There's no Band-Aid I know of that you can stick something on
and make it work. The fix is to add a transition bridge with
wrapped bichords and get the break% up. If we could fix
everything with quickie stick on patches, no one would be
doing redesign work, would they?
Ron N