[pianotech] Leveling keys

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 23 20:13:48 MDT 2009

Keith,
You have presented a rational reason, which I will consider. The question(s) I have, is when,& why was this adopted? Most of the olde steinways I encounter do not have the perported "crown" in the keybed. Now, I cannot say I have checked very many of them, even tho I do check the flatness of many pianos keybeds, that I encounter. I do this to find out if the overall case is warped, i.e. Cheek Lift. In a Square grand this is easy to check, but in a regular grand one needs to take a straight edge and check the key bed after extracting the action. I don't recall seeing any reference to this "curved/crowned Key bed" in any of the Patents available on S&S. It's one thing to strive for Curmudgeoness and it's another thing, entirely to continue to do something when there is a logical reason to change.<G> I'll start checking All the S&S's I have available to me to varify the existence in their keybeds. Later.
JOe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I