[pianotech] Leveling keys

Keith McGavern kam544 at allegiance.tv
Tue Jun 23 21:06:41 MDT 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:

> You have presented a rational reason, which I will consider. The
> question(s) I have, is when,& why was this adopted?

Joe,

I cannot answer when this practice was adopted. I can, however, say
this.

I have three (3) Steinway service manuals, one I received in 1992
which clearly states the reasons for leveling the keys with a slight
crown (about 1/32"),

I also have an older one that I physically dated 1981, and an even
earlier service manual from approximately the 1960s'.

In each of these service manuals, leveling the keys with about a
1/32"  in the center is referenced.

As to any older Steinway grands, I have not been able to ascertain the
introduction of the crowned keybed and a reverse crown keyframe at the
front rail area to date.

Keith