[pianotech] Strange Customer Complaint

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Jun 24 03:10:52 MDT 2009

On 6/24/09, David Lawson Pianos <dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au> wrote:
> Had a music teacher ring today to complain about the tune done on the school
> piano yesterday. The complaint was, the top 1 & 1/2 octaves of the piano
> constantly sustain when the notes were played! After I explained that it was
> because there was no dampers on that part of the piano, he calmed down a
> bit. I'm guessing piano mightn't be his specialty instrument!
>
> Alastair.
> David Lawson's Pianos
> Wangaratta
> Australia

There's the old story about someone used to playing on Steinway grands
having to play on a Baldwin, and complaining about ringing dampers.
The cure was showing that Baldwin dampers don't go up as far.

I personally have had to give that demonstration... ;-{

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
Luther College, 700 College Dr.,