[pianotech] Piano Key Leveling

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Wed Jun 24 09:22:13 MDT 2009

If you level the keys and then shim the center of the balance rail,
dip will be too large in the middle.  I assume you'll go on to correct
that.

A description of the Steinway crown that I heard is to take a level
stick, put it on top of a center pin at the halfway point, then clamp
the ends down.  Irrelevant, but gives a visual.  One thought is that
slightly crowned keys look better than slightly dished keys, which
naturally happens over time with more play in the center.  Or maybe
that's just a rumor I'm spreading; I don't even know...

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
ABQ, NM
www.shusterpiano.com