[pianotech] Piano Key Leveling

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 21 21:31:52 MDT 2009

Glad you checked it huh Bruce?  :-)

I ran up to Lowes eariler today.  I bought a 3' aluminum L shaped 1/2" x
1/2" x 3' for 9 bucks.  I'm going to try that once.  It'll lay flat on the
keys without falling over like that Everett board likes to do at the drop of
a hat.

A friend of mine here took a soft pedal dowel, cut it to size and then
drilled a hole dead center in it so that it will fit over the front rail
pin.  He cuts it so that it is a tad lower than the bottom of the key.
After setting the key height on 3 keys, he removes all of the punchings
including the felt ones, sets the dowels in place, on A0 C-4 and C8.  He
uses paper or card punchings to fill in the gap setting so it won't budge
when he places pressure on those 3 keys. He sets C4 about 1mm + or so
higher.  He works from C4- up to and C8 and C4 back on down to the bottom
leaving a nice even but ever so slight crown on it.  I hadn't thought of
that, so on my next job I'm going to give that a shot with this aluminum
thing.  But, I think I'll pick a note closer to center of the piano maybe F4
instead of C4.

The only other one that I could find at Lowes was only 1/8" wide.  I wanted
it to at least, be able to set on the keys without falling over.
Supposedly, aluminum is completely straight and won't bow.  I eyed it and it
looked good so, we'll see how that works.

Jer