[pianotech] wippen felt advice

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 20:10:37 MDT 2009

Check damper spring tension.

In a message dated 6/25/2009 6:34:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net writes:

List

The piano is a Steinway upright from the 1870s. It came to me,  refinished,
almost completely rebuilt, and nearly unplayable.  There is a lot of
friction, especially on some keys.  I  suspected verdigris, but the action centers
were not the problem.  (It is verdigris free, and everything moves freely.)

The problem seems to be the wippen pads.  The hammer moves  with no
appreciable resistance when I lift the wippen with my finger.  Push the key down
and I have to use undue pressure.   The  keys themselves need new bushings,
move too freely, and are not the  problem, either.

The capstans are smooth and when I run my finger over the top there  is no
stickiness, roughness, or anything would increase friction.  (They are the
big wooden dowel capstans.)

The wippen felt pads, though, are heavily dented, even though they  were
replaced in the rebuild.  They are a white felt, they look to  be an
appropriate thickness, but my theory is that the felt was too soft  and thus the
dents are, at least, a part of the problem.

I want to make sure I don't replace these with a felt that is also  too
soft.  How can one measure and compare the softness of felts?

Or is there a specific brand/weight/etc. that you have used with  success?

Thanks in advance for any advice you all might have,

Tom Sivak
Chicago

**************Shop Popular Dell Laptops now starting at $349!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222031056x1201446063/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.dou
bleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215910283%3B38350812%3Ba)