[pianotech] Strange Customer Complaint

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 26 06:29:04 MDT 2009

Agreed.  In the tuning business, the customer is rarely right.  Allowing
them to be right, as Gregor says, opens the door for more complaints not
only from them but from the next technician that follows up after us.  We
all have whiny customers.  Some we are never able to please no matter what.
Pass them along to someone you hate.

A while back, I had one that wore hearing aids in both ears.  I was referred
to him by another tuner in town that is a good technician.  The tuner called
me and said, "I told him if Jerry couldn't please you, nobody can."  I went
over there and tuned his Mason & Hamlin upright.  During the visit, he
complained about this and that about the other tuner.  On and on he went.
That was my first clue.  A whiney customer looking for attention.  I
listened closely looking for certain signals and decided it wasn't the
tuning he was bitching about, but voicing instead.  I tuned it, voiced some
of those notes he mentioned, then had him set down for 5 minutes and play.
He was pleased as punch.  Couldn't be happier!

When we got in the car, I said to my son; "watch, before we get home he will
be on my voice mail."  Jr said, huh?  He was happy.  I know.  But, I can
tell, he's just that kind of guy.  Loves it now but, he'lll think of
something.  Sure enough, as soon as we got home, he was on my voice mail
saying that the tuning sounded horrible.  It was all muddy.  He couldn't
listen to it, it sounded like an "echo" and all "blurred."  I called him
right back and said, "look, so and so is an excellent tuner.  He couldn't
make you happy.  I intentionally had you set down and play the piano for 5
minutes.  You loved it.  NOW, you hate it?  I'm going to tell you something
you are not going to like to hear.  It is NOT the piano.  It is your hearing
aids."  Yeah, the last tuner told me the same thing.  I wouldn't believe him
either.  I insisted.  Continuing, "I can can come back to look at it but I
know what kind of tuning I do and that piano is in tune whether you like to
think it is or not.  It IS your hearing aids or the way you are playing.
The hearing aids are distorting the sound.  If I come out to look at it
again, I will be charging you no less than $80 just to show up because I
know what the problem is."

He accepted that.   But, about a week later, he called back again telling me
that he had talked with his brother in California who also wears hearing
aids in both ears.  "My brother told me that he could no longer listen to
records since he started wearing his hearing aids because everything sounded
muddy distorted with them so I guess you were right!"  I said, "guess???
There is no guessing about it. I am right."  He laughed and said, "I just
couldn't believe it."  I said, yes, no, you just 'wouldn't' believe it."  He
laughed again said, yeah, I know.  I don't play those particular songs now
and it sounds better.

All in all, I learned many years ago, if we allow the customer to dictate to
us where we are going to put an in tune piano out of tune and the next
fellow comes up behind you and says man, this sounds horrible, you just lost
a customer for sure.  I tune a piano in case I have to follow up after
myself as well as if someone else follows up after me.

100% of the time, if sometime is not right, it has never once, been my fault
or the tuning.  It is either a squeak, hearing aids, ceiling fans,
sometimes, a major change in the weather (3 months later) or a piano setting
over a heat or A/C duct.  Other times it is one note louder than another,
softer than the next, a pencil that was dropped in the action, always
something else but tuning.

So many customers go over the piano with a fine toothed comb expecting a
tuning to be a "cure all" looking to find something that isn't quite right.