[pianotech] Piano Key Leveling

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 27 03:56:26 MDT 2009

Just returning from a trip and noticed a lot of interest in the idea of crowned key leveling. On my many trips to the Steinway factory,I was always posed that as my first question. Why the need for the crown keyboard? I've heard one reason after another, none which made any sense. That was until Eric Schandal was finally kind enough to give me the real poop.
Crowned keyboards look level from a distant. Level keyboards look concave. Plain and simple.
They've done it that way for years and I'm sure they'll continue to do it for years to come.
Remember...there's the wrong way, the right way, and then there's the Stein--way.
Tom Servinsky