[pianotech] Piano Key Leveling

Keith McGavern kam544 at allegiance.tv
Sat Jun 27 05:22:30 MDT 2009

Tom,, List,

While it may or may not be true that a crowned keyboard gives the
appearance of being level from a distance, that is hardly the reason
for doing crowned key leveling in Steinway grand pianos. The following
reasons have been presented already on the Pianotech List by me, and I
post them again for your perusal.

This is directly from the Steinway & Sons Technical Service Manual
that I had have in my possession since 1992.

------
Bedding the Keyframe to Keybed
Background: Steinway utilizes a keybed which is shaped and planed in
such a way that it provides the keyframe with a solid support
structure and minimal friction.

Features:
1) The front lip of the keybed (1/2" approximately), which contacts
the keyframe is crowned so that its center is approximately 1/32"
higher than the ends.
5) The front rail of the keyframe is reverse crowned so that the
center of the front rail is approximately 1/32" lower than the ends.
This is done to ensure stability at the front rail. There should be no
gaps along this line of contact.
(page 11)
-----

This clearly shows that when the keyboard is held in place with
keyblocks, leveling the keys correctly should follow the line of that
crown as recommended by Steinway and should not be leveled flat.

Now interestingly enough, and which had not been mentioned before in
this thread, crowned key leveling also applies to Steinway verticals
as well. (p80)

The real question remains: "When did the Steinway company actually
implement this crowned feature in its pianos?" I have physical records
that indicate crowning the key level has been published in their
service manuals since somewhere in the 1960s'. Prior to that time is
unknown by me.

Sincerely,

Keith