[pianotech] Piano Key Leveling

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 27 06:02:58 MDT 2009

Keith,
I've read the Steinway manual as well, many of times. Please explain why the Yamaha keyleveling system is much more exact and holds true much longer....without the scooping out of the keybed. I'd say their approach is much more stabile.
Point being, I don't see where Steinway is getting anymore stability from the front rail in their way of thinking. I find that there's much more settling occurring in a new Steinway keyboard than any of the pianos from Japan, which uses a different approach.
This really is a design issue which goes back to the introduction of the una chordal pedal. If the action could remain in one position, none of these issues would even be talked about today. It was when the designers were told...."and by the way, we want the action to shift over for this special effect..." that the engineers had to find ways to take the weight over the center of the keyboard as much as possible, allowing the action to move easily without resistance. Thus this whole concept of how the keybed should be fashioned. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Steinway  the only company that scoops out their keybed in this fashion?
What Eric Schandall was explaining to me was that even if the bottom is of the keyframe is carved out, couldn't they still maintain a straight keyleveling? And the answer from Eric was, yes. He maintains that there is a firmly planted notion that keyboards with crown appear more level than straight-leveled keyboards.
Personally, I think this whole approach was the result of  the factory putting a little fudge factor in their leveling to account for settling.
...and the old wive's tales continue
Tom Servinsky