[pianotech] Retrofitting a Steinway w/adjustable back action

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 30 21:11:13 MDT 2009

Jude Reveley (Absolute Piano) wrote:
> Nice, David!
>
> Is that the white woven action cloth? Any rubbing noise? Where did you
> buy the SS hex screws, MSC, Mcmaster?

Rubbing noise? Both the capstan and the under lever it
supports rotate from the same pivot center. No rub, no noise.
Geometry.

> Ron,
>
> One pictured seemed to show that you knocked the edges off the zinc hex
> screw. That seems like a good idea, but what about rust? Did you put a
> finish on?

I did knock the raised edge off the head, but no, I haven't
put a finish on. I figure rust is about as tragic a likelihood
here as it is in the bare high carbon steel plain wire strings
in other parts of the piano. Less, if anything, so rusty
damper tray capstans ought to kick in as a deal breaker some
time after the woolly red strings render (sic) the piano
untunable anyway.
Ron N