[pianotech] cats

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 2 05:15:48 PST 2009

Rick

I took a tuning course when I graduated college, back in the mid70s.  At that time, I purchased a basic set of tools, which then sat in my basement for 20 years, until I decided to go into tuning again.

I went down to the basement to take inventory, and discovered that sometime in the 80s, my cat had peed in the open tool box, ruining many things, but some of the simple metal tools, like my capstan wrench, were salvageable, with some steel wool and elbow grease.

Now, any time there is a cat in the house, where I am tuning, it is drawn to my tool box like a fly to...you know what.   The smell is gone (to human noses), and there are really only a couple of tools that I still carry from that old tool box, but 30 years later, they still smell it.

Needless to say, I need to be a little extra cautious about closing up the tool box.

Tom Sivak
Chicago