[pianotech] 1880 Steinway Vertical

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 07:07:26 PST 2009

It's been some time since I've done the "let's keep this ancient Steinway
upright functioning" routine. Photos would help a great deal in a "virtual"
diagnosis.Why can't the sustenuto rod be taken out for access (aside from
the aggravation factor of getting to work properly on reassembly)?
And the sticker situation sounds like a retrofit solution. Otherwise it
ought to be a rocker capstan, or the dowel type. Again, closeup photos would
probably tell the tale most efficiently.
Here in snowy New England (too messy to get to this morning's appointments),
those action parts would be very punky, and dampers and hammer butts and
hammer heads' felts and buckskins in abominable condition.
Time to pull out Brooks Ltd.'s catalog and prepare an estimate for a full
action rebuild.

Patrick Draine