[pianotech] cats

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 11:24:30 PST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Conrad Hoffsommer <hoffsoco at luther.edu>wrote:

> Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft wrote:
>
>> I was doing a repair and had all my felt mute sitting out. Well, three
>> dachshunds took them and hid them all over the house. It took the owner and
>> I about 1/2 hour to locate all of them. That was the last time I left my bag
>> open with animals in the house.
>>
>> Al
>>

> I feel your pain. I've had similar experiences, but the last time I had a
> curious cat encounter was really different.
>
> I thought I had an attentive apprentice. Sitting on a chair a few feet
> away, watching everything I did, especially to the spinning propeller of my
> laptop RCT. (~50¢ pitch raise) Only near the end of the tuning did it get up
> on the keys to look more closely into the console's action. I played a few
> notes in the bass to help it understand why NOT to put it's hands in the
> action, and it slowly got down and went into the kitchen.
>
> Very mellow.
>
> --
> Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
> Luther College, 700 College Dr., Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
> 1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

I have had dogs run off or begin chewing on things that were glued or
pasted, apparantly the glue(hide) and the paste whatever they used, smelled
and tasted good to them.
I have a small pasteboard box with some parts in it and some pieces of
pasteboard for shims. I also carry a few old upright parts, a hammer butt
w/flange, etc. as something to show the customer when I'm explaining certain
procedures.
Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404