[pianotech] Database for Piano Business

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 3 23:07:56 PST 2009

My pet peeve regarding computer software is having to re-enter the same
data again, and again, once I have already entered it, twice, thrice, or
more!  I'd rather set up my computer systems to reference data entered in
various applications so that once I have entered the data, every other
application that needs that data has access to it, and I do not have to
re-enter the same data I have already entered.

> Frank Emerson,  RPT

I'd say that pretty much sums it up for me too.

I don't usually enter all the customer info into Quickbooks, because
there's no real need for that in there.  But if there was a  convenient way
to port that info into and out of Quickbooks into my Palm Pilot (Treo), I
would like to know about it.

The problem comes when importing and exporting from different programs.
Each "field" has a different title.  So you have to specify where to put
the information when syncing the two programs together.  Companionlink,
which Time and Chaos uses to import and export, makes this easier, and in
fact, T&C relies upon this third-party software to do this.

There is a need for a kind of "plug-n-play" type of information handling.
Just like in the early days of computers, you had to do a lot of
configuring the hardware before the computer would be able to use your new
card or peripheral device.  When plug-n-play came along, it was all done
automatically.  Sure would be nice to have that with the customer
information.  Even if you have a database with the customer information
readily available, you still have to export/import it into your program to
utilize it. What happens if you need to update the customer info?  Then,
you would have to modify the "master" customer file (in Excel maybe?), then
export/import it, and delete the old file.  Repeat for each program you are
running.  Such a hassle!  Almost better to re-enter it manually!  It almost
seems that unless you have an all-in-one program, you are not going to get
to nirvana.

So, here we are, as technicians, looking for the Holy Grail of technician
software.  We know what we want, so somebody writes a program that we like,
and later it fades into the sunset.  One software developer can't possibly
write a bulletproof program and spend the rest of his life supporting it,
rewriting it when necessary, and all that, whereas the big guyz can hire
dozens of whiz-kids to write a more powerful program to be all things to
all people.  Somehow, it doesn't seem hopeful we're going to find the "best
way".  PLEASE tell me I'm wrong!
In the meantime, I'm all ears to anyone who can make this happen with an
off the shelf program that is well supported for the long haul. (Please
note: I'm not dissing PTBiz or any other specialty software out there.
It's just that there's a history of disappointments from them).

There is actually a kind of "universal" system, called vcard, which Outlook
uses, as well as Palm.  My online calendar sends vcard (contact) and vcal
(calendar) files to me by email when someone signs up for an appointment.
These are used to transfer the info into my Palm Treo and desktop computer
Palm software.  Even so, vcard files need occasional updating, so it
doesn't help solve the problem (see above).

Am I missing something?  Oh, yeah.  I'm CHEAP!  I'm not willing to spend a
fortune getting what I want/need.  I know there are very good programs out
there that are in the thousand dollar range.  I'm not going there anytime
soon.

Paul McCloud
San Diego