[pianotech] Capo Bars

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 13:11:27 PST 2009

At 10:59 -0800 4/3/09, David Love wrote:

>Why do manufacturers harden capo bars...

Do they? How?  Cast iron is hard anyway.

>...rather than cast (or grind) the underside of the strut flat, rout
>out a groove to receive a steel rod of proper radius, shape and
>hardness and insert it there where it could, when it's worn, be
>easily changed and where the consistency would be more easily
>controlled.

Some makers do just that, but never using steel, which would be the
very worst material to use.

>Is there a compelling reason not to do it that way?

The graphite in cast iron provides an excellent self-lubricating
bridge.  I'd guess it makes for less friction than brass and is less
prone to marking.

>Secondly, if I were to do that to a piano where I have some concerns
>about the hardness and or consistency of the capo, what specific
>material and diameter would be best to use for the rod insert?

1/8" leaded bronze or brass?

JD