[pianotech] Capo Bars

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Mar 4 14:59:50 PST 2009

Thanks Ron for the detailed reply--and everyone else's contributions as
well.

One other thing I wonder about is the mass of the struts themselves.  The
Bosendorfer, for example, with its drop in super heavy capo (and short
counterbearing lengths) seems universally devoid of leaks and falseness in
that section.  What exactly is the hardness of the material on the bottom of
that removable capo as compared to hardened cast iron?  Also, has anyone out
there ever experimented with increasing the mass of that strut by some
artificial means on other pianos?  Curious as to the effect?

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com