[pianotech] Database for Piano Business

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 5 03:14:11 PST 2009

David reminded me of the T&C color code option, so let me jump in with a few
tweaks that I do.
One nifty things that I do is avoiding playing phone tag with  customers,
which sometimes takes forever to get into the books..
I now will return their call and give them a time and date which will work
for my schedule. I get a higher number of people agreeing to my time
suggestion right from the start. I then color code that appointment with
lime green ( why that color was picked, I haven't the foggiest idea) so that
appointment stands out on my schedule as a non-confirmed appointment. When
they call or return the email and confirm, then it goes to a non-colored
appointment. It's a quick and easy way to avoid phone tag issues and getting
people on the books quicker. It's a simple right click on the mouse and the
file icons pop up allowing the simple change.
I also have about 4 basic groups that get color coded ,especially on days of
concerts. Rehearsals get one color, final tuning prior to a concert gets
another color. Its an easy way to get my attention for the day's details
without getting too cumbersome.
I do send out reminders, both with emails and reminder cards. T&C allows
this with complete ease.
I use the categories section to determine which month and year the customer
is to be reminded.You can create as many categories as you want.
I have categories set up like this:
Jan 2009
Jan 2010
Jan 2011
Feb 2009
Feb 2010
It's basically very old fashioned an nothing about this is rocket science.
When I complete the service appointment, I update the customer's category
with when I need to remind them. Then on any given month, you need only to
go to that month's category and open. Those who need reminded appear in the
contact list. Then go to the print command and determine which you want to
print. It also will allows you determine what type of label size and form
you want. Or you can print envelopes, if that's your choosing. Quite
honesty, this simple feature for tickling customers is why I have stayed
with T&C for so many years. It's quick and simple.
One of things I've mentioned to T&C folks about is allowing the use of a
create a pre-made reminder type of email card that could be applied to all
those due. I'm trying to gear all of my email-friendly customers to expect
reminders via email. Having a clever email that's pre-made as part of T&C
would be sweet. Now I have something I made and saved in My Documents and do
a cut and past. The nice thing about the T&C folks is that you can actually
call them up and discuss ideas for tweaks down the road. They actually like
getting feedback from users. If enough people suggest something, it gets
changed in the next update. Got to love these guys!

Tom Servinsky