[pianotech] First hammer job - considerations

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Thu Mar 5 07:12:00 PST 2009

Greetings,

        No pun intended but: It just  "struck" me today that I never
installed hammers for a paying  customer.

         I was called to evaluate  the condition of a Steinway console, and
told the perspective buyer it's going  to need new hammers in the next couple
years or so. ...The last time I  installed hammers was 5 years ago in
tuning/tech school.

        I am  thinking: wwwelllll....I have needled and needled my Yamaha U3
and I  still remaining is this ear piercing underlying  tone... SO... perhaps
I should install my  own set before I attempt for a paying customer. I am just
 looking down the road at this job inevitably dead ahead.

         My post has a 2 fold  purpose: 1. Sharing with new techs that this
inevitably will happen to  you and 2.  Asking for any thoughts of the
experienced.

Thank you
Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA