[pianotech] First hammer job - considerations

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Mar 5 08:44:54 PST 2009

Hi Julia,

Practicing on your personal piano is an excellent thought.  To save time
and headaches, have your hammers pre-bored, tail shaped, etc. so you're
ready to glue and go!  Are you going to replace the shanks and flanges,
too?

Paul

KeyKat88 at aol.com
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
03/05/2009 09:13 AM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[pianotech] First hammer job - considerations

Greetings,

        No pun intended but: It just "struck" me today that I never
installed hammers for a paying customer.

         I was called to evaluate the condition of a Steinway console, and
told the perspective buyer it's going to need new hammers in the next
couple years or so. ...The last time I installed hammers was 5 years ago
in tuning/tech school.

        I am thinking: wwwelllll....I have needled and needled my Yamaha
U3 and I still remaining is this ear piercing underlying tone... SO...
perhaps I should install my own set before I attempt for a paying
customer. I am just looking down the road at this job inevitably dead
ahead.

         My post has a 2 fold purpose: 1. Sharing with new techs that this
inevitably will happen to you and 2.  Asking for any thoughts of the
experienced.

Thank you
Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA
Need a job? Find employment help in your area.