[pianotech] Capo Bars

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 5 11:51:35 PST 2009

"We"  is a very big word :)

There has been a lot of different thinking through the years on the
whole "how hard, how sharp, how steep counter bearing angle, how long a
front length" complexity.  In some thinking, a softer termination
material that allows for a .... shall we say <<controlled>> grooving
works well. Ed McMorrow has a good deal to say on that subject. Still...
there is a clear desirability for a surface that is serviceable to a
greater degree then the fixed capo allows for. Hardening, widening, and
rounding of that are strategies to by-pass and yet avoid string breakage.

Overs went to a hard yet sharp configuration a few years back.... an
interesting combination.  Good trick if you can get it to work. And I'm
pretty sure he can.

Cheers
RicB

    But if brass is softer than the steel music wire, and I presume
    softer than unhardened cast iron, then isn't the steel wire going to
    cut a groove into the brass capo insert? And isn't that what we're
    trying to avoid?

    Terry Farrell