[pianotech] Kawai UST-9 damper springs

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 10:26:34 PST 2009

I am setting up a new Kawai UST-9 at a college. The piano sounds great, but
the users complained about a heavy touch. It's the damper springs. I measured
the spring tension with a Correx gauge, and in the bass it's just over 100
(!!)  grams. This means the key downweight goes from around 50 without dampers
to over  100 grams when the dampers engage. I'm going to weaken them, but I
wondered if  there is a standard for this. Does anyone regularly measure this,
and is there a  range that works? Don Mannino, if you're there, does the factory
have a standard  for this? I remember your talking about damper springs
lately, but I can't find  the email.

Thanks,
Bob Davis