[pianotech] Yamaha C7 scale

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Fri Mar 6 11:50:16 PST 2009

Hi Conrad,

String lengths and note numbers would help (I don't have a C7 scale in my
files). The C7 is a 7' 6" piano, so I expect that the first tenor note is
#21 or so.

Still, although your intuition makes perfect sense since the larger diameter
wires would require more tension in order to pull the larger mass up to the
same frequency, the facts don't quite support it. Given that the frequency
and lengths don't change, larger diameter wires will both increase tension
and inharmonicity.

However, the inharmonicity number at note 21 will be about 0.10 give or take
a bit. What really matters is not the absolute INh value, but its
relationship to the general scale values, especially in the octave vicinity.
INh values increase exponentially (on a good scale) all the way up to note
88.

I'm inclined (off the cuff) to like the lower gage numbers (19/18.5/18), but
that is just a guess. The larger gages may fit into the general scale
better.

I am curious, and since I don't have a C7 in my files, if you like you can
contact me off list with string lengths and gage numbers for all the steel
strings (either inches or mm) and I would be happy to run a spreadsheet and
graph, no charge. You may like to see what the whole plot looks like.

Regards

Nick Gravagne, RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Member Society Manufacturing Engineers