[pianotech] Yamaha C7 scale

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat Mar 7 10:08:36 PST 2009

>>   Don't forget these are metric wire sizes.

Here are the metric piano wire sizes;

Westphalia wire gauges

1	0.2
2	0.25
3	0.3
4	0.35
5	0.4
6	0.45
7	0.5
8	0.525
9	0.575
10	0.625
11.0	0.675
12.0	0.725
12.5    0.750mm
13.0    0.775mm
13.5    0.800mm
14.0    0.825mm
14.5    0.850mm
15.0    0.875mm
15.5    0.900mm
16.0    0.925mm
16.5    0.950mm
17.0    0.975mm
17.5    1.000mm
18.0    1.025mm
18.5    1.050mm
19.0    1.075mm
19.5    1.100mm
20.0    1.125mm
20.5    1.150mm
21.0    1.175mm
21.5    1.200mm
22.0    1.225mm
22.5    1.250mm
23.0    1.300mm
23.5    1.350mm
24.0    1.400mm
24.5    1.450mm

The Yamaha C7 from the F model (which came out sometime around 1990)
has a new scale which is a significant improvement on the previous
version, which broke at E20/F21. The new scale breaks at G23/G#24,
and has about the same percentage of break across the break as the
Steinway D. The earlier scale was disaster, and is the model which
started my education of breaking strain percentage issues over the
break, when I was tuning a lot of studio pianos around 1980.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers