[pianotech] Aural tuning question

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 7 22:21:56 PST 2009

You are basically asking the question, "Why is it so hard to learn to be an
aural tuner?".  Learning to hear intervals was a very basic and important
part of my beginning training.  It is something that takes years to learn,
not months.  I majored in Piano Technology at BYU (2 year AA degree) then
spent another 3 years working with a very experienced mentor, and it was
only after about 5 years that I became proficient enough to do a halfway
decent concert tuning.  At the time, the only ETDs available were the Conn
Strobotuner and the Stroboconn, both extremely primitive by today's
standards, so learning to do it "by ear" was really the only way.  Learning
to hear intervals was the foundation upon which we learned everything else.
I don't own an ETD and I do 2-3 pitch raises a week, often a half step or
whole step flat.  The hard part is learning how much to overpull when you
pitch raise.  I would be happy to explain how I do it, but it's Saturday
night, it's getting late and I'm headed for bed.  Later....
Jim