[pianotech] Aural tuning question

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Mar 7 23:20:03 PST 2009

A person that is absolutely non musical with no musical training or talent
shouldn't probably become a piano tuner.  By that I don't mean the ability
to play, necessarily, but I do mean the ability to hear musically.  Tuning
is mostly learning to hear.  You can easily train yourself to recognize
various intervals and then learn to tune them by the standard aural
recognition methods involving coincident harmonics.  If you are unable to
grasp what that is or learn to hear them then it is likely that another
profession would be more suitable.

Similarly, a person lacking any manual dexterity should probably not become
a surgeon, at least not one who will operate on me.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com