[pianotech] String Leveling question (Joe DeFazio)

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Mon Mar 9 06:26:39 PDT 2009

Hi, Strings on an upright do need to be (leveled) but only in the sense of seating the strings and mating the hammers to the unison. I once did level a Kimball upright. Tipped the piano on its back using my tilter. Leveled the tilter <G>
and seated the strings. Then leveled the strings and mated hammers as if it were a grand. The piano was much improved but still a Kimball.
Had to live with that nasty piano for 8 more years until our church was given a new Yamaha C7.
Yes the piano needed the strings to be leveled.
There are about 25 levels being used in Japan!

Just reread the directions for use of the tool on my site and while they are still good suggestions I am sure there are those techs out there who have found other ways and uses for the tool. Eric Schandall uses the tool on its side to level the unisons at the struts. And I will sometimes find it usefull to press down on the tool to get a reading that can be used in mating the unisons in this area.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com