[pianotech] Tunic Onlypure Tuner

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 07:03:55 PDT 2009

Thanks John:

Let me try to explain what I mean better. My practical definition for
ET is where the M3's and the M6s beat progressively faster. I prefer
this definition because it allows any type of stretch, but still
requires that all notes be tuned within a few tenths of a cent of the
stretch's ideal.  When a twelfth is tuned, to it's sweet spot or
otherwise, this also defines the width of all the intervals within the
twelfth.

I don't see how any equal beating or even integer beating, such as 3
beats for every 2 beats, (which are supposed to cause a beat
cancelling effect) between fourths, fifths, and octaves that are tuned
to the notes of the twelfth can guarantee that when the circle of
fourths, fifths or twelfths (depending on how you look at it) is
completed that the M3s and M6s will all beat progressively faster.

On one piano the results might be fifths that are too narrow for the
twelfth, producing one wider-than-just fifth when the circle is
completed and causing unevenly progressive M3s and M6s. On another
piano the final fifth may be too narrow.

Now if the answer is that then the twelfth was not tuned to its "sweet
spot", then we are talking in circles....

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.