[pianotech] Tunic Onlypure Tuner

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Mon Mar 9 14:32:52 PDT 2009

At the risk of introducing more speculation to this topic, I thought I
would relate something I have not read on this thread yet.  I was one
of a dozen or so people in attendance at Bernhard's session at the
last national PTG convention in Anaheim, where he demonstrated his
software.

One part that was striking to me was that interval tests, of course,
produced various levels of beats as we, who have trained to aurally
isolate them, are used to recognizing.  But when he then played those
intervals in the context of chords and arpeggios there was
*diminishment* of that beating.  They were clearly not as audible as
during the playing of the isolated intervals.  I do not hear this
cancellation of beats when I tune, either aurally or with my usual
Tunelab techniques.  I am not an expert tuner by any account, but when
I aurally isolate the intervals of my own tunings, I hear pretty much
what I heard when I was setting and testing the intervals in isolation
from, well, music.

I have not purchased Bernhard's software (yet), because I am
uncomfortable not being able to explain or understand any tools I use
(so maybe his upcoming publication will assist me), but he is
certainly doing something very interesting.

Jim Moy