[pianotech] S&S hammers only in S&S pianos??

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Mar 9 09:44:05 PDT 2009

Julia,

I've replaced hammers on a 1911 model A, a 1926 M, and a 1932 Model L with
Wally Brook's (Abel) "Natural Felt" and had fantastic results! I'm about
to do the same on an 1980 model B in a piano faculty office next week.  I
haven't tried Wurzen on a Steinway yet....someday.....Prior to a few years
ago, I wasn't too thrilled with the hammers coming from Steinway, but I've
heard great progress has been made in their construction, so I'll be
trying them again in the next year or two.

I would love to do an "experiment" on three practice Sty "M"s that are all
in identical rooms and all next to each other. I would put Steinway on
one, Wurzen on the next, and Abel Naturals on the third (actually already
just finished...the 1926 M above)  .However, the M also got a soundboard
repair, bridge work, new bridge pins, Arledge bass strings and new
agraffes, so it might not be a fair competition :>)..It actually blows
away ALL the M's in the school...sounds like a B!

I'd say go for it, unless you want the piano to be "all Steinway" .

Paul

KeyKat88 at aol.com
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
03/09/2009 11:06 AM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[pianotech] S&S hammers only in S&S pianos??

Greetings,

         Is it a good idea to only replace hammers in an S&S ca1938
console with S&S hammer? . Has anyone tried Wurzen hammers in an S&S ? Is
it a bad idea to use other brands in this mfg's piano? What's the "norm"?
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA

Need a job? Find employment help in your area.